Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

to the ones who make the kids table fun

My sister and cousin graduate highschool this semester. I am so proud of them.  I grew up with two sisters and 3 cousins* that were all our same ages..which often felt like growing up with 5 sisters. imagine the fights and the fun! the horror of it all!
But back to the two graduating girls.
I love you both so much.

Wendy, in many times and in many ways you have been like a sister to me. you were a built-in play mate, secret keeper, and friend. I can't imagine life without you. You have such a sweet spirit about you. You always have. Your whole life has been marked with kindness. You are peace loving and eager to include everyone. You are faithful. Faithful to your family, faithful to your friends, and faithful to your beliefs. I am so proud of you and I look forward with excited anticipation at what is in store for you. Congratulations, Wendy Beth!




Joanna, what a sister you are. You have always had a hunger for the magic in life. When you were little, this meant nothing was off-limits. From the earliest age, you weren't scared of anything. Many times in my life, you have been the strong one. You have been the one who wasn't scared of the dark, or sickness, or the unknown. You jump in with both feet, fearlessly. It's breathtaking how you jump. So boldly, so confidently into things I spend years questioning. You are quick. Quick to love, quick to make decisions, quick to accept people and ideas. You defend your beliefs and your decisions with an intensity lawyers and politicians would kill for. You are one of the funniest people I know. The way you view life and people keeps us all amazed and usually, laughing.  I hope your years are filled with adventures, that you love well and make wise and bold decisions. I can't wait to see the roads you will walk in this life.


I hope you both choose the perfect school for you. {or whatever you choose to do in life} I hope you have wild nights and really lovely days. I pray that you make wonderful friends who will love you deeply and be bridesmaids in your weddings. They will never replace the incredible friends you have had the privledge to grow up with, and that is how it is supposed to be. But they will begin to fill this void in your life, a void you never knew you had. They will walk with you through trying to figure out the whole being-an-adult thing. They will share hurts and joys with you when family is far away. Remember their birthdays, meet their families, make sure they know how much you love them. 

Do your homework. Show kindness and respect to everyone you meet, you WILL meet some strange souls. Go to concerts with music you really love. Go dancing. Preferably not at da clurrrrb but texas-two steppin is just fine. Master dancing. Somehow that will serve you well one day. Go to the lake with friends, venture down to the beach, join a club. Find a church you love and believe in and serve with them. Work hard, at work, in school, and in life.

Date nice boys. If your dad doesn't like him, he's not worth it. If he's never been hunting or golfing or at least camping, I would think twice.  Don't beat yourself up when you realize the one you dated wasn't so nice. You didn't know, you just didn't know darlin.

When you are sick, remeber you will survive. (need I remind you of my food poisoning near-death experience in TN) When you are homesick, love on others. When you are stressed or bored or confused, get outside. Take a walk, go for a drive, run around a track.

Call you parents.  Tell them thank-you. Call your sisters and your grandparents and come home when you can. Don't feel guilty when you can't.

I hope you find yourself. Don't be scared to grow and change and become more you. Never forsake your roots, your family, your faith. Adventure, explore, and love. Love well. And be loved.

Go forth and LIVE, Wendy and Joanna!
xoxo Lyd








*disclaimer: this makes it sound like I only have 3 cousins total. I have lots more. I am just blogging about them on Feb 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment